page contents

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Windows 10 on the Dell Venue 8 Pro

Based on the success of my Surface Pro 3 upgrade to Windows 10 (via the Media Creation tool), I am proceeding to standardize the device fleet.

The next toy to get the upgrade is my Dell Venue 8 Pro, my handy 8" tablet that, initially at least, frustrated the hell out of me due to early driver issues. While the upgrade this time was similarly  smooth, there were serious input lag delays and slow performance on the older firmware (A5) and the older chipset drivers. I was initially unable to do things like adjust battery settings, screen dimming settings, etc.

In order to get back to the great battery life and performance on my 8.1 stack, I had to grab the new files from the web.

So here is the recipe for happiness on the Venue Pro 8:

5830_Chipset_Driver_67YC3_WN32_603.9600.2067.27988_A00.EXE
5830A11.EXE

These are the chipset drivers for the Intel Atom Z3700 and the BIOS firmware to get to the Dell preferred A11 version for Windows 10.

Installation of the Chipset drivers required Run As Administrator to operate correctly, but once applied a simple reboot and performance was impressively improved. Battery life instantly was back to the 8 to 10 hours that I enjoyed with minimal tweaking on Windows 8.1. I will post an update of power utilization after a few test runs.

There is a new battery report utility on system settings, similar to the ones seen on phones, that report a breakdown of what applications and devices consumed the battery. Its a nice touch. I keep finding nuggets like this in 10 that I am really appreciating. So far, my experience has been outstanding (aside from the Edge browser - probably my next write up).

Thanks for reading! Onwards and upwards!

No comments: