page contents

Monday, December 09, 2013

Dell Venue 8 Pro - An 8" Bag of Rocks

Well, I can see why Microsoft was getting these out the door for such reduced price.

Unfortunately, Dell driver compatibility is not there for Windows 8.1. Which unfortunately is the operating system this tablet shipped with.

Out of box, the tablet was appealing. The rubberized shell and form factor lent themselves to a pleasant experience. This was rapidly overcome by the poor software stack for the internals.

I was looking forward to an 8 hour battery life and a full Windows 8.1 machine in a portable footprint but alas - its not yet fully "baked". My Microsoft Complete experience was likewise disappointing.

For $99, you get access to a number that gives a much more rapid path to disappointment that would otherwise take longer to achieve. I guess that's worth something. And I think I have learned a hard lesson:
DO NOT PURCHASE OEM HARDWARE FROM THE MICROSOFT STORE!

Support was quite quick at offering me the old 23 Skidoo to Dell's OEM support - in spite of their build and assurances of premium support with the Complete Support package. To be fair, I am generally happy with the responses that I have received on my Surface RT(s) and Surface Pro hardware. But if I am still shackled to hitting up the OEM for support on the "Microsoft Signature" build, what's the point?

While the usual Dell bloat-ware was absent, its quite obvious that Signature is a relatively worthless designation for builds.

I will be returning my Signature Dell trivet, and considering a short hop across the hall to the Apple Store. For all of their faults, Apple DOES do a good job of not bricking hardware as soon as you get it home and updated.

Happy computing, folks!

No comments: