page contents

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Windows 8.1 on the Surface RT update

Its been a few days, and I am seeing some slightly annoying behavior on RT, but nothing that makes me want to roll back. The Photo application flat out doesn't work for example.

Open it up, select a picture from your roll, and open it - results in a blank screen. This is reproducible at will.

An example:
Yummy. Picture of some BBQ ribs I made  Oh, wait...
 
 
So, yeah. Not perfect. But with the new screen split options, I can use the free painting application from the store and do things like this:

Yeah - not an artist so SILENCE! However, the application of the tech is there. I was unable to access the pallet until I achieved close to an 80/20 split. I imagine with more real estate (like a 20" monitor) this would become cooler.

There are also some issues with popular sites and Internet Explorer 11:

 
Again, not a huge deal and you get what you paid for - just click close and you are fine. Still enjoying things like the change to the on screen keyboard. Now you can hold the top row keys and input numbers without changing the keyboard layout. Very nice.
 
 
So far so good. As patches come out and the RTM (release to manufacturing) bits get closer, I see this as a good evolution of a pretty dang good Touchscreen OS.

No comments: