page contents

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Surface Pro - Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Blog

So while at Tech Ed, attendees were given the opportunity to get a Surface Pro and RT for a sick price (google it - really it was silly).

The result? I actually have something that facilitates blogging! I am turning up this site again (after long dormancy) and will be trying to get useful information out into the world on the Microsoft stack and SAN storage.

What do I think of the Surface Pro?
  • the stock image is kind of pissing me off. Generally speaking, the builds from the Microsoft Store are solid. No bloat-ware, "Windows as it was meant to be"... but there are increasingly little odd things that are not working well. What kind of things? Cisco Anywhere VPN client, for one. It hoses the Pro - installs, attempts to reboot, and never comes back! And I am not the only one getting calling out the factory build.
  • After using RT for a while, I really, really, really got to like a 9 hour battery life. With tweaks, I am getting only 3 to 4 hours on Pro. And if VPN keeps pooping the bed, I think that RT has a much greater chance of making it into the laptop bag than the Pro..,

Aside from the issue with Cisco Anywhere VPN install, so far so good. And like everyone else, I find myself  getting addicted to a touch screen (fingerprints on my laptops are going to be a new feature).

If people find this via the AmaGoogleWebz, I will post the resolution to the issue. And yes, I am using Windows 8 versions of Cisco Anywhere VPN. I do this for a living. :)

Rock on, people.

No comments: